Thursday, April 29, 2010

Recommended PC software to learn Mandarin


Flashcards on steroids with pictures and audio. It keeps track of "stale items" and makes you review them based on how much trouble you had remembering them in the first place.

What I don't like is that it won't take inputs from the Microsoft IME as-is right now in my copy of Windows 7 but apart from that it's great.

The 13 free flashcards decks will take about 25 hours to master so I would recommend starting with those before buying the full version.


MDBG Chinese Reader is a PC client version of the very useful MDBG website (or is it the other way around?). When it hovers over Chinese characters it shows up you instant definitions and romanization. Another trial software, but very well made and I'm tempted to buy the full license as I'm relying it more and more.

Rosetta Stone

If you can afford it, I think it's an environment that works very well and is very complete. I love the fact that it's web based! I've had access to a license at work for a while and I'm looking forward to find an affordable license again...


No comments: