Friday, August 29, 2008

(T-Mobile|Credit cards): you suck

I ran out of minutes on my prepaid t-mobile SIM today. I can tell you this is the last time I'm renewing from somewhere else then in-store:
  • try to pay online
  • Oh yeah, by the way T-Mobile... Zip codes in Canada have letters - why doesn't your online form accept them??
  • order accepted (even with the dummy zipcode), told to wait 60mn for a phone call if it doesn't go through
  • wait 60mn, no phone call
  • call *TOGO
  • go thru the usual phone multi-level menu
  • wait 10mn
  • decide to hang up
  • call back, go through the menu again
  • wait another 20mn
  • tell the "processing" representative I want to change credit card (I couldn't find my US credit card the first time)
  • she cancels my payment and tells me she'll have to transfer me to sale representative
  • wait 5mn
  • sales representative takes all my information down, including social security
  • sales guy tells me he needs to transfer me to a processing person (!)
  • wait 10mn
  • processing person tries to talk to me, can't hear me, hangs up
  • call *TOGO again
  • wait 20mn
  • processing person asks me for all the information again
  • processing person tells me that she'll need to contact a bank representative to confirm my information
  • wait 5mn
  • bank representative asks me a bunch of questions
  • bank representative tells processing person I "check out"
  • processing person tells me she'll now process the payment
  • Finally I'm able to use my phone!
I don't understand... I've just made X thousands dollars payments with the same credit card to get my and Min Lin airplane tickets this month. And they make me jump through hoops to prepay 100$ with it? WTF?

And you would think that a phone company would actually figure out the best way to use the phone to make ordering easy? How about telling me they'll call me back instead of making me wait? Or at least give me an accurate estimate of waiting time? And about not having to repeat the same information twice in the same call? Also, how ridiculous is it that T-Mobile CANNOT call me back on my T-Mobile serviced phone because I don't have any minutes left - don't they have a magic we-own-this-phone-network-so-we-can-bypass-billing?

Next, I helped my mother buy her plane ticket... Took forever to fill out the information. Got to payment page and we have this "Verified by Visa" that asks the EXACT same questions then the airline company but makes us choose a freaking password. And then loads forever and has not 1, but 2 "Gateway timeout" before working on the 3rd reload!

Is it just me or phone/online payments are just getting more inconvenient instead of less?

1 comment:

Matchoc said...

They're not getting more inconvenient, they're getting more "secure".... You should understand the difference !

Just like ye 'old DRM, it's all for the customer's good.